In 1998, I put on my teacher hat and stepped into my 7th grade classroom for the first time.
In 2001, I started my Master's degree.
In 2003, I stepped out of my classroom and put on my mom hat to rear my three children.
In 2009, I began feeling like something was missing, and my desire to get back into the classroom and finish my Master's became stronger and stronger.

So here I am. Three classes away from my Master's degree. Trying to go back to work full time. Getting ready to do some substitute teaching. And feeling a bit overwhelmed--and really excited--as I transition back into a professional role.


The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug. ~ Mark Twain

Monday, March 21, 2011

Red Pen, Green Pen, Blue Pen, No Pen!



I'm sure many of us who have been in the classroom have an opinion one way or the other with regard to what you use to mark students' papers. Over the years, I heard conflicting opinions: don't use red pen, use pencil, don't use pencil, don't write on the paper, use a grade sheet, use a checklist, two praises for every push . . . and so on. And while I knew that I would be doing a lot of grading and reading as an English teacher, I was in no way prepared for how hard it would be. Not because of the time or my inability to sometimes decipher "on the bus" handwriting, but because sometimes a student would hand in something so far off from what was expected of them that it was almost painful to find a way to give meaningful feedback . . . and how to deal with the realization that sometimes you can't work with what you've been given by a student.

The reality is that as soon as students hand in their work, it has to be evaluated in some way. I really liked what Lynn had to say about grading, and I appreciated the sample paper he included. Many times I'd sit down to read papers, happily grade and comment and then reach a paper that seemingly came out of left field that I could not understand. Often, I'd go through it like the professor in Lynn's piece, starting at the beginning and correcting as I went. In my defense, we graded with Focused Correction Areas, so I wasn't marking every single error, but often I focused on what was wrong instead of trying to understand what the student was trying to do. At the same time, the reality is that sometimes you get a paper that you just can't figure out . . . and it goes to the bottom of the paper until you're ready to deal with it.

The idea of looking for meaning and having the student redo the paper makes total sense to me. To try to find what it is they are trying to say and help them put it together better. Often, I didn't have students redo papers . . . I gave them the option, but i never required it. In using rubrics when grading, however, they have to write to the assignment--which is why I'm glad Lynn included the assignment. After reading it, I can see why the writing was jumbled and hard to follow . . . I couldn't figure out the assignment either! A good reminder to always be mindful of being clear and concise.

Another part of correcting papers that really spoke to me was marking a line in a student's writing to see if they can find the error. It's a great way to encourage student accountability and learning--definitely a technique I will use in the future.

I think one of the hardest things about grading/assessing/evaluating writing is that no one ever really tells you how to do it. There are mountains of examples of rubrics and checklists and symbols and techniques, but when you boil them all down, you're left with a simple fact: you must read the papers and write back. I like some of the "real life" advice in these articles, and I think that reading them help reinforce my new thoughts on error and the importance of clear and concise--and kind--feedback to students.

4 comments:

  1. I felt so "at home" this week with the readings. As I sit with a pile of five-paragraph essays to read and grade, I find myself really looking at the pieces in a different way this time around!

    I have used the "marking a line" technique and find that while most students were able to identify their errors because the errors were common, simple errors, some really struggled to identify what the problem was. If they don't have the background for whatever reason, it will be a difficult task. I think it would work really well with your FCAs though!

    Interestingly, the writing committee at my school is currently moving toward one standard rubric for all teachers to use. Each can make adjustments as needed, but it is to assure we are all on the same page with our students. It should work well with consistency in grading, but I think it is also great to work with a team to grade papers to see if all teachers are on the same page with evaluating student work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had this wonderful ah ha! moment when you noted that we've all seem the rubrics, shared them, found them online, but beyond that - you're right - no one ever came right out, in all my classes, and said "this is how you should grade essays." Perhaps it's because people are reluctant to take a stand, for fear their method isn't the "best" - but I like Lynn's attitude: here's my approach, make of it what you'd like, it's worked for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jess,
    First: great title!
    Second, I loved what you said about not being sure how to tackle student grading. Seriously it takes some pressure off of me since I'm not completely sure how to tackle this.
    Third, I wanted to comment on when you mentioned that "The reality is that as soon as students hand in their work, it has to be evaluated in some way." I completely agree. When I read in Haswell's essay that sometimes an essay would be returned without anything written, I had a fit (in my head, of course). I mean, I get that sometimes it's a lost cause to turn back a paper with marks, but should there ever be a moment where the paper is turned in sans comment? I like the idea of minimal markings, like you.
    I also wanted to mention that I think that you probably can agree that each student probably has his/her own style and voice. I always thought that my college profs graded me based upon my writing AFTER they had at least gotten a taste of what I was capable of doing. Therefore, grading was not a cookie-cutter process. It was, instead, a grading system based upon individual performance. This is where I think having a final draft option/requirement will come in handy! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! And I wanted to mention that the reason why I'm a big fan of the "final draft" is because there were certainly times when I turned in a shitty final draft and I got a shittier grade. I actually felt MUCH more validated receiving a lower grade for lower effort and a lower grade when I THOUGHT I had put in more effort. Does that make sense? I guess I'm saying that grading has the potential to be a conscious process based upon what the student expects from the teachers' reading as much as it is what the teacher expects from the students' writing. :)

    ReplyDelete