In 1998, I put on my teacher hat and stepped into my 7th grade classroom for the first time.
In 2001, I started my Master's degree.
In 2003, I stepped out of my classroom and put on my mom hat to rear my three children.
In 2009, I began feeling like something was missing, and my desire to get back into the classroom and finish my Master's became stronger and stronger.

So here I am. Three classes away from my Master's degree. Trying to go back to work full time. Getting ready to do some substitute teaching. And feeling a bit overwhelmed--and really excited--as I transition back into a professional role.


The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug. ~ Mark Twain

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Balance

Did anyone else feel slightly overwhelmed with this weeks' readings? I haven't read as much about classical rhetoric and logic since undergrad . . . and I admit my mind felt a bit mushy and rusty!


The basic theme that I came away with is the importance of balance between exposing students to multiple samples and formulas to create a good store of knowledge and allowing them opportunities to freewrite and explore. It's important, also, I think to be aware of context, purpose, and audience, but not get too caught up in the "modes" of writing types. I think that often they are intertwined. My seventh graders, when writing their personal narratives, used to ask me if they had to do a descriptive piece too because their narratives had description in them.

While most of them just wanted to get out of another assignment, I was thrilled that they could see how closely related different types of writing could be. I never liked the grammar and composition text that my school used, and I often didn't use it. Instead, I wrote many of my own units, trying to tie together the actual writing with grammar and mechanics taught in context. It just made more sense to me to do it that way, and I think it was more natural for my students too.

I'm not discounting structure by any stretch--for some students, more stringent guidelines and classifications can be helpful. I agree with Lynn when he points out that students can write to learn and informed writers make better use of the process (100). As in all things, balance is key--give students freedom to create and explore and structure as it's needed.

2 comments:

  1. I think balance is important in this whole teaching gig! There is so much information out there for teachers and students, I think it is important to keep things in perspective. There are times when should do a little of this and times when we should do a little of that. I talk to my students about "code switching." There communication depends on the audience and format. They, too, need to be flexible.

    I was a little mushy-minded at the end of the readings as well. That is why I took the perspective of my classroom application in reference the material for this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a section in Lynn similar to what you mentioned, as far as letting the material lead to the form. "teachers need to encourage students to listen to their material and (it) will help them discover options for organizing it." I tried to do much the same thing this past week as my lower level 9th grade students wrote their own "This I Believe" essays. We did a tremendous amount of freewriting leading up to the "final" essay in an attempt to encourage the students to use the material to help lead them to a form. For some, it worked. The organization seemed to flow because the ideas flowed. But for others, they nearly begged for some type of suggested outline - and kept asking me, so should this be five paragraphs long? I finally relented and gave them a loose, "suggested" outline with lots of wiggle room. Sometimes students just need the "security" of that form to get them started.

    ReplyDelete